Well, we know how vegans feel about it... We know how vegetarians feel about it. Paleo dieters like it. Is it good or bad for you?? There are so many reasons why red meat is bad for you. Let me rephrase that... There are so many reasons why commercially raised red meat is bad for you.
Now, I have never talked to a commercial meat producer. I have to disclaim this. I don't know what your local meat producers are up to. The information here comes from many articles I have read over the years from doctors that do research. However, be skeptical of your local producers because in big business, everyone wants to cut costs.
According to Dr. Mark Hyman, every study indicating that red meat is bad for you has used commercially raised red meat. Let me tell you some of the main reasons why commercially raised meat is causing North Americans problems.
I want to start with Glyphosate because it has been my biggest nightmare as health advocate ever since I learned about it. Glyphosate was patented as an antibiotic. I will get back to why antibiotics in meat is not good for you in a bit. Glyphosate is also a great chelator which means it binds to minerals. You can spray it on the inside of a vessel and it will bind to the minerals and you can wipe them right off. It also binds to your minerals and depletes you of your much needed minerals.
Glyphosate also causes Leaky Gut Syndrome. It breaks down the lining of your gut causing bigger molecules to leak through that aren’t supposed to be leaking through. This causes inflammation through the body and causes your body to attack these larger molecules. Your own body gets caught in the crossfire. This is what a lot of autoimmune diseases are caused by. Things like Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Restless Leg Syndrome, psoriasis, and many others. Glyphosate has also been linked to so many other diseases including cancer and depression.
GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS
Glyphosate is found in the product called Round-Up. It gets sprayed on genetically modified grains and those grains get fed to commercially raised animals. That brings me to GMOs. Glyphosate and GMOs are causing all kinds of diseases and they are a huge problem to anyone looking to improve health and fitness. I talk too much about GMOs so please just read my article on GMOs. You don’t want your food eating it!
I also just mentioned grains. The only reason you don’t want your meat eating grains is because they are low in nutrient and are only used to fatten an animal up quickly. That is of course if you used non-GMO grains without Glyphosate sprayed on them; only then would the only problem be a lack of nutrient in your meat. The number one thing you are trying to accomplish with food is to get the nutrients your body needs.
Now I'll talk about antibiotics. At one time meat producers didn’t know why antibiotics worked to fatten up their animals; all they knew was it worked. We now know how it works. There are 2 types of bacteria in the gut. One is called firmicutes and the other is called bacteriodetes. Firmicutes is fat person bacteria; it stores fat to survive starvation at times. Bacteriodetes is skinny person bacteria. It survives on polyphenols and flavonoids; all of the antioxidants you get from plants. Firmicutes survives on things like sugar and flour. When antibiotics are ingested they kill off bacteria and the firmicutes gets the opportunity to take over. 80% of the antibiotics we ingest comes from the meat we eat. It makes us fat too.
Another little trick meat producers use is they put estrogen behind the ear of the animal. Estrogen retains fat. Sorry ladies on birth control. It takes 30% less feed to fatten up an animal on estrogen. We eat that meat and the estrogen gets in us and it takes 30% less food to fatten us up as well. THAT'S REALLY SIGNIFICANT.
On a side note, there is estrogen in plastic in the form of phthalates, there is estrogen in soy, most lotions potions, paint, and beauty products will have a form. Man made estrogen is called xenoestrogen and it just acts like estrogen in the body; it isn't real estrogen. The estrogen in plants isn’t real estrogen either; it is called phytoestrogen and it acts like estrogen too. It’s a plant's protective mechanism; kind of like how some plants are poisonous.
WHY YOU SHOULD EAT RED MEAT
So why bother eating red meat at all? Like I said before, the number one thing you are trying to do with food is get the nutrients your body needs. High quality grass fed meat is loaded with nutrients your body needs. Wild meat will be the best source. Iron, zinc, ubiquinol, collagen, protein or certain amino acids, and Vitamin B12 are very difficult for vegans to get from their diet. A lack of these nutrients causes very significant consequences.
I always ask a little trivia question to my clients, “Do you know what is in red meat that makes it red?”
They say “Blood?”
“Yes, that’s correct. What is in the blood that makes it red?”
They say, “Hemoglobin?”
I say, “Yes, that’s correct. What is in the hemoglobin that makes it red?”
They say, “I don’t know.” The answer is iron. Iron is one of the top nutrient deficiencies in North America. Without it you don’t produce red blood cells. This is your oxygen carrying capacity and obviously that goes down and along with it is the energy systems that use oxygen. It causes many problems. I hope it’s obvious that we need iron and is one of the reasons why red meat is so important.
Got dry skin or dandruff? Do you know what the active ingredient in dandruff shampoo is? The answer is zinc. Or it should be the answer. Without zinc, you will have dry skin and can’t build up your connective tissue. Your skin is connective tissue, so is your bones, and muscles. Your gut lining is connective tissue as well. I will get back to the gut lining as well.
Ubiquinol is the active ingredient in co-enzyme-q-10. One of the main purposes of ubiquinol is to help with energy production in mitochondria and clean up the by-products of energy production. Without it you will have less energy and the by-products of energy production will cause damage to cells.
Collagen is a really big one. It’s only found in animals. Your connective tissue, (skin, facia of the muscles, bones, and gut lining to name a few) is made up of 70% collagen. How are you getting collagen in your diet? Bone broth is full of collagen. Not only that, but the zinc, magnesium, calcium, L-glutamine, proline and glycine that is all needed to heal and grow connective tissue is all in bone broth. Leaky Gut Syndrome is something we all have to combat these days and if you aren’t using bone broth you will be losing the battle.
Vitamin B12 is the fifth leading nutrient deficiency in North America. It affects every aspect of how our systems function. Vitamin B12 is required for energy production, blood formation, DNA synthesis, support for your nervous and immune systems to name a few. Some of the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency is weakness, decreased energy, tingling in extremities, brain fog, memory problems, sleep problems, mood swings, and lack of motivation. Some of the diseases associated with vitamin B12 deficiency are depression, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular disease, anemia, cancer, multiple sclerosis, and brain damage.
high quality grass fed meat
Some of the above nutrients are found in plants but at much lower concentration as found in grass fed meat. It would take a whole lot of food to get all the nutrients you could get from a small piece of meat and some of those plant products are much more harmful then they are beneficial. Bread comes to mind. High quality grass fed meat is a staple to a healthy diet to get the above nutrients with a reasonable amount of food. A lack of high quality grass fed meat will lead to all kinds of health issues.
I have personally seen one of my own clients that suffered from allergy like symptoms and syncope stop having symptoms by introducing red meat. She was a vegetarian her whole life and after addressing nutrient deficiencies and introducing goat meat her symptoms went away. She’s doing great now and this is a very common story that I have heard from many health care practitioners. I am so glad I could make that positive impact on her life like that.
Here are a few sources for grass fed, hormone, antibiotic, and glyphosate free, non-grain fed meats.
Those are the ones in Alberta. If you aren’t from Alberta you can go to eatwild.com to find a farmer close to you in Canada that provides quality grass fed meat with none of the hormones, antibiotics, or grains.
I have many suggestions and resources to help improve health and fitness. I would like to give you an opportunity to spend an hour with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. I want you to overachieve like you never thought possible. This is an offer that will not be available ever again very soon. I am giving you the opportunity to become someone you and others envy.
Click here to meet with me.
Get a Health and Fitness Plan… For Free!
You will get a 60-minute coaching session one on one with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. You can ask me any questions you want during the coaching session. You will get:
- a plan that's specific to your needs.
- an exercise plan.
- nutrition advice.
- the exact diet I get all my clients to start with and the resources to enable you to start right away.
- learn what nutrient deficiencies are the most common and what to do about them.
- learn how to bust through all kinds of health and fitness plateaus naturally.
- all kinds of resources where I get my knowledge.
Click here to meet with me.
Increase your energy, looks, and physical capabilities to improve your confidence, which spills over into every aspect of your life. Become an overachiever by doing what overachievers do. Become someone people envy and live a happier more positive lifestyle.
Click here to meet with me.
I wish you lots of health, love and happiness!
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016