The most prominent issue I deal with as a personal trainer is stress. People are so stressed out in North America compared to other places I’ve seen. In other parts of the world they still have siesta; there is scaffolding everywhere because, “They will do it tomorrow.” The most common sayings I heard in Thailand were, “Ya, why not?” and "No worry, chicken curry."
I will never forget the day I showed up to Ton Sai beach in Thailand. Of course, it was a gorgeous day and an amazing beach. I got off the longboat with 4 other people. I don’t know where they dispersed to. I went straight to where a few people were playing ukulele and singing under a giant rock where all the climbers were displaying their incredible upside-down skills, (the picture above). I dropped my backpack and joined them. I learned how to play “No Woman, No Cry” on the ukulele in about 10 minutes.
After a couple hours, I decided I better find accommodations for the night and walked into the jungle to find my hut for what I didn’t know was going to be the next week. This place was the hardest place to leave. Not that there weren’t options but because it was so laid back. I got my key and when I put my pack in my room I asked if I could take the guitar on the wall in the front desk area down to the beach so I could join the other musicians again. What did he say? Of course, he said, “Ya, why not?” I couldn’t believe how laid back and easy-going people were!
On this side of the planet people must have a big house with a fancy car so they chase the dollar to pay for everything and raise a family. It’s a very high paced society with no siesta and second jobs. I mention meditation to people and they say they don’t have time for that. Lol. It makes me laugh because if you talk to people that over achieve; they meditate. They say they can accomplish all that they do because they meditate for a couple hours a day. I try to get people to meditate for 5 minutes as many times a day as they can and finishing the day with 15 minutes of meditation.
The high stress in our society causes a lack of sleep as well which compounds the issue. On top of that magnesium is the first mineral we lose due to stress. Would you believe magnesium is the most deficient mineral in North America and the forth biggest deficiency over all? A lack of magnesium makes it hard to sleep. I have a few remedies for this I would like to share.
Number one, banana tea. Get organic bananas, cut the ends off, and wash them. Yes, it feels weird to wash a banana for the first time, but don’t worry, it only feels weird the first time. Put a litre of water in a pot per banana and boil them. Leave it steep for 10 or 15 minutes. I put cinnamon and coconut milk in it and it’s delicious. I will make 2 litres at a time and put the rest in the fridge. Bananas are loaded with magnesium and the peel has 3 times as much as the fruit.
Number 2 is magnesium theonate that I get from mercola.com. The magnesium theonate is a form of magnesium that can cross the blood-brain barrier. Some people will say these are sleeping pills. I’m guessing those people are stressed out and lack magnesium.
Finally, take a bath with Epsom salts. Magnesium sulfate is a great source of magnesium and it’s so relaxing. The key to great meditation is to activate the relaxation response and to do it repeatedly. Magnesium will be absorbed through your skin.
On that note, remember when you are putting on bug spray or sunscreen; whatever you are putting on your skin you are absorbing 60% of it. If you won’t eat it don’t put it on your skin. Zinc oxide is an alternative for sunscreen and real olive oil is another. It’s hard to get real olive oil. I personally don’t use anything because the sun is a great detoxifier and we need as much vitamin D as we can get in Canada. I have tried a few different natural sources for bug spray and nothing works. Unfortunately, mosquitoes fly right past other people to get to me.
Don’t be a person that says I will be happy when I get there. I hate to break it to you but you never get there. It’s human nature to keep improving in life. When you are done one thing there will be another and another and you never actually get to the end until the big dirt nap. The race is long and in the end, it is only with yourself.
Take weekends off. We need 2 days in a row to recuperate and the odd vacation. You have to enjoy the journey or you are doing the wrong thing. Make sure you are incorporating things you love into your life and have something to look forward to at the end of every work day. Hopefully not a glass of wine everyday. On a side note, if you are craving a glass of wine everyday it may be due to a deficiency in GABA. Read my sleep article for more on that.
That brings me to sleep. Get enough sleep no matter what. Never sacrifice sleep for anything. It’s never good to be sleep deprived and be grumpy and irritable. No one wants to go through life like that. I’m going to take a nap. BRB... I take a nap if I’m tired and I have a bed in my van for a quick nap in-between activities if I need one. We can learn something from the other laid-back countries in the world that have siesta.
One of the main aspects of health and fitness is to reduce your allostatic load. Your allostatic load is all the stresses on the body including mental stress. Proper sleep is at the top of the list of activities that needs to be done. If you’re not getting enough sleep you are suffering and wearing out your body quickly. I have tons of suggestions for better sleep in my 3-part article on sleep. Check it out here.
People in our society today are wearing out their adrenal glands and thyroid more than ever before. These glands regulate hormones that depict what your body is going to look like and how it’s going to preform.
Chronic issues are everywhere I look these days. Most of the chronic issues I see can be helped and sometimes eliminated with a proper healthy lifestyle. It is unfortunate but our society doesn’t care about prevention and when shit hits the fan people want a pill to fix their problems. Take a dam siesta instead. Eat your broccoli. Stay away from toxins in food, water, cleaners, toothpaste, pit-stick, lotions, and plastics. Use essential oils and eat kimchee. Don't forget bone broth.
I have many suggestions and cool tricks to help improve health and fitness. I would like to give you an opportunity to spend an hour with me to make a plan for you to overachieve like you never thought possible. This is an offer that will not be available ever again very soon. I am giving you the opportunity to become someone you and others envy.
Click here to meet with me.
Get a Free Health and Fitness Plan.
You will get a 60-minute coaching session one on one with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. You can ask me any questions you want during the coaching session. You will get:
- a plan that's specific to your needs.
- an exercise plan.
- nutrition advice.
- the exact diet I get all my clients to start with and the resources to enable you to start right away.
- learn what nutrient deficiencies are the most common and what to do about them.
- learn how to bust through all kinds of health and fitness plateaus naturally.
- all kinds of resources where I get my knowledge.
Click here to meet with me.
Increase your energy, looks, and physical capabilities to improve your confidence, which spills over into every aspect of your life. Become an overachiever by doing what overachievers do. Become someone people envy and live a happier more positive lifestyle.
Click here to meet with me.
I wish you lots of health, love and happiness!
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Top 5 Reasons To Take Omega 3's Jan 8, 2016