Getting abs is at least 70% diet. I am not going to get into diet too much but I have to mention it. The diet I try to start all my clients with is the 10-day detox by Dr. Mark Hyman. It’s just healthy eating. No gimmicks or having to pay a bunch of money for crap you don’t need. Eat healthy fats, vegetables with the odd fruit, and good healthy sources of protein like meats from Down by the River Ranch, Blue Copper Ranch, Acme Meats, or Real Deal Meats.
I will try to modify the diet for individual needs after that. The diet I like to modify to is this diet if I can get people to do it. Then there are all kinds of little tricks to help with belly fat and cheat meals. These articles are very important. Consider printing them out so you can reference them. Remember, over 70% of getting abs is your diet.
What I want to talk about today is the types of exercises that you need to do to get the abs showing and then a couple cool tricks that make a huge difference.
The best exercises to do for weight loss, strength, and for building muscle mass are the same. They are called compound exercises. Basically, you are not isolating muscles like a body builder of the 70’s. You are working as much of your body at once as you can in various powerlifting movements with body building sets, reps, and rest times.
Compound movements are exercises like the deadlift, squat, bench-press, and good mornings. These movements are very advanced movements and are way more dangerous than people are aware of. If you are not moving in proper alignment you will be headed towards a joint replacement way faster than if you didn’t put the joint under load. Always get help form a professional.
Cardio must be in here and if you are going to do steady state cardio like running or biking, then you want to go for about 30 minutes at about 80% of your maximum capacity. This is with a conventional diet. If you are on a ketogenic diet, like the one in the link above, then you can go for much longer before your body will break down muscle tissue to use as energy. Steady state can be done daily for increasing your metabolism but one day off a week is recommended for nervous system recovery.
HIIT training is the best form of cardio training. High Intensity Interval Training gives you the biggest bang for your buck. My favorite form of HIIT training is playing a sport; it’s way easier on the nervous system and provides a stress relief and it’s so much fun! HIIT training should normally only be done once a week or it will be too hard on the nervous system but sports can be played at least a couple times a week.
Now for a couple of cool tricks to really get the abs to sparkle! The first one is called frequency training. You can do any kind of exercise that jacks your heart rate. Do it for as little as 4 minutes but the trick is to do it as often as possible through the day. Timothy Ferriss, (author of The 4-Hour Body) recommends before and after every meal. It not only jacks your metabolism every time you do it, but it also produces chemicals in the body that store energy in the muscles as opposed to in fat cells.
Another cool trick I like is to get clients to do abs on Fridays. Abs are the fastest healing muscles in the body and can be done every second day for most people. When you work the abs you have to maintain a neutral spine. This just means keeping your spine straight. Crunches and those side crunches with or without weight should not be done. Stuart McGill is the spine doctor and if you want to learn more about this topic you can read his book, ``Lower Back Disorders``. He`s a doctor from Toronto that tours the world doing seminars on this topic and teaches kinesiology at the University of Waterloo.
So why Friday for abdominal workout? Hammer the shit out of the abs on Fridays so they are sore all weekend! Not only will it be a reminder to not do anything too stupid on the weekend, but it will hurt to overeat. Restaurants and cheat meals tend to happen on the weekends. Overeating will stretch out the abs allowing the belly to sag just that much more. We all need extra core work anyway. Doing abs will flatten UP out the stomach and makes the abs pop!
These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Oct 9, 2018 Top 10 Reasons Why Dairy Products Are Bad For You Oct 9, 2018
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016