I want to start with the physical properties that create happiness first because without the physical capability of being happy nothing else matters. 70% of our neurotransmitters are created in our gut. Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride is a Russian neuroscientist that noticed all her patients had gut issues and knew the neuro issues had to be related. She studied what we now call the microbiome and created what she calls the GAPS diet to heal the gut. Many doctors have followed suit and agree that it is extremely important to maintain a healthy gut to avoid neuro problems including depression and anxiety. Take care of your crap factory and be happy. I wrote many articles on this subject so please feel free to browse my blog.
Have you ever seen the Will Smith movie “The Pursuit of Happiness”? In the movie, the main character claims that there is only the pursuit of happiness and happiness only occurs in short bursts when you finally get what you want. This is called natural happiness and is no better in creating happiness than not getting what you want.
In this video, Dan Gilbert explains that happiness is synthetically created within. Whether we get what we want or not we will be just as happy; we create synthetic happiness when we don’t get what we want. It’s every bit as real as natural happiness from getting what we want. It comes down to how we perceive things. If we thought of gallbladder surgery the same way we thought of a trip to Amsterdam, then gallbladder surgery would create happiness.
how do we get ourselves to perceive events in a positive way to create happiness?
Shawn Achor is a psychologist and expert in happiness and he says that people always move the bar when they look for happiness in external factors. When you get there then you need to get somewhere else and then somewhere else. Like chasing a horizon; you never get there.
Shawn Achor explains in this video a 21-day challenge to alter your perception of the world into positive thoughts creating happiness. #1- He says to write down 3 positive things that happened that day. #2- Write one story that was particularly positive. Writing the story allows you to relive the event. #3- Exercising creates a positive outlook on life in many ways; come see me for an hour for free. #4- Meditation allows the body to reverse the stress response and in today's society is of extreme importance. #5- Doing random acts of kindness daily even if it's just an email with a compliment or thank you.
The random acts of kindness was talked about in the Dan Gilbert video as well. He talked about the study where 2 groups of people were given a sum of money and one group was told to spend it on themselves and the other was told to spend it on someone else. Of course, people get more happiness out of spending money on others than they do spending money on themselves.
The last thing I want to talk about here is something I mention to everyone that sees me in person. Dan Buettner wrote a book called “The Blue Zones”. Dan went to 4 places in the world where people live the longest and found out what they have in common. Research shows that people that live the longest live the happiest and vise versa.
Dan found 5 things in common. #1- You need to have a sense of purpose. There is no such thing as retirement and you need a reason to get up in the morning. #2- You need to surround yourself with the right people. You could have the best job in the world but if you have to work with a clear bag of smashed barking spiders you’ll hate it. #3- You need friends and family. If you move to paradise island, you’ll be happy for around 3 months and then you’ll get lonely. #4 and #5- Of course, a proper diet is in there and of course proper exercise. You can watch Dan's Ted Talk here.
The secret of happiness is that it comes from within. Only 10% of our happiness comes from outside sources. 90% of our happiness is created within us. This explains why poor people can be so much happier than “successful” wealthy people. It’s all about learning to find the positives in every day.
I hope you liked the article. If you did, share it with friends. These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Oct 9, 2018 Top 10 Reasons Why Dairy Products Are Bad For You Oct 9, 2018
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016