I have good news and bad news. The good news is our government has decided to ban trans fats. The bad news is they are giving the food industry until September 15, 2018 to find an alternative. My guess is the food industry will come up with some other plastic type product even more toxic to chuck in our food supply. Hopefully not. Hopefully they use something natural.
Some people are aware that trans fats are vegetable oils that have been hydrogenated. What that does is it causes the oil to be a solid at room temperature and it extends the shelf life of the fat. This means restaurants don’t have to change out their deep fryer as often and foods made with trans fats will last longer. That’s where the up-side stops.
The negative effects are they increase LDL or bad cholesterol and reduce HDL or the good cholesterol. Trans fats increase triglycerides in the blood which increases system wide inflammation. This combination leads to heart disease and diabetes but also increases your chances of illness from anything.
Until September 15, 2018 we have to watch out for ourselves so we all need to know what to avoid. Trans fats are found in margarine or anything that says hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil, most packaged foods will have trans fats, the potato chips and all the corn chip type snacks that we all know aren’t healthy, anything deep fried in a restaurant, and most baked goods.
I need to mention here that the negative effects are from the unhealthy fats and not other healthy fats like the fat found in avocados, nuts, coconuts, olive oil, eggs, and grass-fed ghee. These healthy fats do the opposite and reduce LDL while increasing HDL. The cholesterol we intake with saturated fat is also beneficial because that is what our hormones are created from.
The nightmare that is likely going to replace trans fats is called interesterified fats. This might be a new word to some, but these fats have been around for a while. This word can be broken down like this; inter-ester-ified. These fats aren’t trans fats, however, they are fats that have been altered to a fat you won’t find in nature, so they should be called a trans fat. What they do is they mix fats on a molecular level to get the properties they want from the fats. Again, they change the melting point and give it properties that last longer than other fats.
According to pubmed studies on interesterified fats are very difficult to do because there is no policy for food companies to label food with this fat so it’s hard to estimate the consumption of the product and the results from an increase. Having said that you can check out this study that indicates this fat is indeed worse than trans fats. It will be used more once trans fats are phased out and we won’t even be able to tell what products have it in them. My mom always said it’s better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don’t know. Avoid processed foods!
Cyclic Aldehydes and Acrylamide
One last thing while I’m bashing fats. When you heat up a fat to the point of it smoking you alter the molecular structure. The fat gets oxidized for one, and a couple of substances get created as well; cyclic aldehydes and acrylamide. The oxidization is bad because of the free radicals that age us. The cyclic aldehydes increase LDL and reduce HDL and increase systemic inflammation similar to trans fats or maybe worse. Obviously, this causes heart disease and diabetes as well.
Acrylamide is formed when carbohydrates are fried at high temperatures. This means French fries, potato chips; and doughnuts! Acrylamide is a known neurotoxin and carcinogen and is classified as an extremely hazardous substance. I hate being the barer of bad news and I know how great fried carbohydrates can taste to some. They’re so good they are addictive! You can’t eat just one! So, I can’t end this on a bad note like this…
To finish I want to tell you an interesting story. John Kellogg invented corn flakes to decrease libido. He was against sexual activity and never consummated his marriage. He adopted all his children. He thought making bland cereal would kill the excitement and reduce libido. Little did he know his invention does actually work to kill libido by significantly reducing the amount of testosterone produced when eating his product or other high glycemic/high carbohydrate foods.
If you eliminate the fried carbohydrates from your diet along with sugar and all the other high glycemic carbohydrates and replace that with healthy saturated fats, (from meat, coconut, eggs, and grass-fed ghee), you will give your body the nutrients it needs to create hormones like testosterone. Cholesterol in our diet is what hormones are made from. This will increase your mood, muscle mass, energy, and help you sleep better among other benefits…
I have many suggestions and resources to help improve health and fitness. I would like to give you an opportunity to spend an hour with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. I want you to overachieve like you never thought possible. This is an offer that will not be available ever again very soon. I am giving you the opportunity to become someone you and others envy.
Click here to meet with me.
Get a Health and Fitness Plan… For Free!
You will get a 60-minute coaching session one on one with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. You can ask me any questions you want during the coaching session. You will get:
- a plan that's specific to your needs.
- an exercise plan.
- nutrition advice.
- the exact diet I get all my clients to start with and the resources to enable you to start right away.
- learn what nutrient deficiencies are the most common and what to do about them.
- learn how to bust through all kinds of health and fitness plateaus naturally.
- all kinds of resources where I get my knowledge.
Click here to meet with me.
Increase your energy, looks, and physical capabilities to improve your confidence, which spills over into every aspect of your life. Become an overachiever by doing what overachievers do. Become someone people envy and live a happier more positive lifestyle.
Click here to meet with me.
I wish you lots of health, love and happiness!
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Top 5 Reasons To Take Omega 3's Jan 8, 2016