I just wanted to share my trials and tribulations with you on how I started out and what I went through to get where I am with my personal training business. I went through so much when I first started I couldn’t believe what was happening at the time. I thought it was a pretty incredible story and I always thought I should write it so here it is.
I worked full time as an EMT and after a while the job started to consume my entire life. I took 6 months off and toured Europe then went to BC when I got back. The whole time I was on vacation I was thinking I needed to quit my job and start my own business; I needed to get a place in the area I liked and I had to get a life.
When I got back to work, it was ok for the first couple of tours, but it quickly consumed me again. I thought, “This is crazy.” I was thinking I was foolish to have done what I did for so long. I wanted out but didn’t know how. I started getting in trouble at work, missing shifts and being late. I talked to the boss and told him it was due to stress. I knew my days were very limited and it came down to either get fired or quit my job. I chose to quit.
The original plan was stick it out until I had some money to invest in my business. I started out with nothing. I had enough money to get a permit and insurance to start training people full time. I had done it part time on the side but now it was going to be my full-time job. I started training a hockey team for about $550/month and training whoever wanted training for free. The truth is, we all want to do this job for free and I thought I would take donations and grow my clientele.
During this time, I didn’t have a home and was living out of my van and staying at my parent’s house who lived in Calmar. I kept locking my keys in my van because I was so stressed out. Then one day a girl was high and missed her turn off twice, so she decided to do a U-turn on the Anthony Henday and popped out in front of me. As the witness said, “You didn’t have a chance! I saw the whole thing! Here’s my number.” My van was written off and I didn’t get compensated by insurance because the front of my van hit the back of her vehicle.
Now I was homeless. I forgot to mention, before this happened my van lost the use of the speedometer and every time I got a speeding ticket I couldn’t believe all this was happening to me. I couldn’t afford the tickets and I was going to lose my licence. I did the online course to get 3 demerits back but I was 2 days late with it and lost my licence anyway. I had to pay way more than I could afford to get a restricted licence so I could go back and forth to and from work. Then my van got written off.
I drove back and forth from Calmar to the gym spending about $30/day in gas using my parent's gas chugging truck and making around $6-700/month. I had to borrow money to get another van to live out of. In the meantime, during my trials and tribulations my mom kept asking me if I was going to get a job. Eventually in the spring I took a part time EMS job and started charging clients with a proper contract as I learned as much as I could about business.
I had lots of business coaches emailing me with suggestions and I was following some of them but didn’t know how or who to invest in. Things got better and better for me through my first year and I was able to rent a place in Bonnie Doon. I thought things were going to continue to get better for me but then January came and the economy dropped off. I lost half my clients. I made rent for January and in February I had to borrow money. I didn’t know what I was going to do.
As luck would have it, someone hit the back of my van and decided to pay me out. I had rent for the month and my luck had completely turned around. Things got better for me all through my second year and are still getting better for me.
I have been a trainer now for 7 years and have a huge passion for it. I learned the fundamentals of training and specialize in a holistic approach to health and fitness coaching. I am addicted to listening to doctor’s summits and love learning about all things health and fitness. Learning these fundamentals is the fun part of my job, the hard part is learning the business side. There is an endless amount to learn. I am loving it and this is definitely my passion.
I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016