I don’t want to get into sleep apnea too much because it accounts for about 30% of sleep disorders and 95% of the clinics deal with it. These are the signs and symptoms of sleep apnea. Waking up with a very sore or dry throat. Occasionally waking up with a choking or gasping sensation. Sleepiness or lack of energy during the day. Sleepiness while driving. Morning headaches. Restless sleep. Forgetfulness, mood changes, and a decreased interest in sex. Loud snoring, which is usually more prominent in obstructive sleep apnea, episodes of breathing cessation during sleep witnessed by another person, abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, which more likely indicates central sleep apnea, attention problems, and irritability. If you suspect you might have sleep apnea, go to one of the many clinics that deal with it and get tested.
The main thing I want to talk about is stress type insomnia. 75-80% of sleep problems are stress related. If you have trouble falling asleep or wake up for more than 30 minutes in the night, then this might be where you are. Obviously the stress is what needs to be dealt with and most people don’t realize their stress is high. Things like what you eat and toxins in your environment affect your stress as well.
Sometimes a doctor may initially give you GABA (Gamma-Amino Butyric acid). It inhibits nerve transmission in the brain, calming nervous activity. Or a doctor may prescribe tryptophan to help you sleep. Tryptophan increases your serotonin levels. Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin. Both of these will calm you down for a better night’s sleep. You have to be careful with this stuff because they are addictive for one thing and another is you don’t want too much serotonin. There are safer methods to deal with the night time anxiety.
Natural sources of tryptophan are very safe. Try seeds (pumpkin, squash, or chia), spirulina, or game meat before bed. A study published in Sports Medicine found that consuming carbohydrates like honey and a form of protein high in tryptophan before bed helped with better sleep.
Clinical trials show that passion flower is as effective as a benzodiazepine to eliminate anxiety. The benzo worked faster, but the passion flower didn’t have the side effects such as drowsiness the next day. Another great anti-anxiety supplement is Valerian root. It increases GABA naturally. Magnolia bark is another anxiolytic.
A few more tips to finish off this topic. Most people don’t realize caffeine has a half-life of about 8-10 hours. “Ween the bean”, doctors will say. Caffeine blocks adenosine receptors preventing sleep until the caffeine wears off.
Electromagnetic waves. Ground yourself and get rid of the cell phone near where you sleep and avoid the electrical stuff in the wall. Take your socks and shoes off on the earth to ground yourself as well.
A place that’s too quiet can be a factor. Binaural beats can slow down your mind and help you sleep, but if the room is too quiet any little noise could wake you up. White noise can help. Sounds of the ocean.
Last tip. Lavender essential oils are great in a diffuser to calm your mind.
I hope you liked the article. If you did, share it with friends. These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Oct 9, 2018 Top 10 Reasons Why Dairy Products Are Bad For You Oct 9, 2018
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016