Lately mine has been red wine at night and coffee in the morning. The cause has been more stress than I can handle. My friend Tim told me a saying; he said "Coffee is that little buddy that is your personal cheerleader in the morning that says, 'Come on buddy, you got this! You can do it!' and wine is that other little buddy that puts his arm around you at the end of the day and says 'Don't worry about it, you'll get em next time.'"
An interesting study was done that says a lot about addiction. Experts used cocaine and rodents. They put a rodent by itself in a cage with water on one side of the cage and cocaine on the other side. The lonely rodent would frequent the cocaine regularly. They took the lonely rodent out of this environment and put it in a cage with a bunch of other rodents.
Again, there was cocaine on one side and water on the other. The rodent that had been addicted to cocaine quickly got away from going for the cocaine and the other rodents tried the cocaine but then went back to plain water. Eventually, none of the rodents were going to the cocaine. The experts concluded that loneliness was a huge contributor to addiction.
I get reminded of when we were children and everything was the greatest or we were crying about something. We had very extreme emotions constantly and no addictions available to us. We had to just suffer through the bad times. I have always believed that children just need the love of their parents to be successful.
Then we get older and learn about drugs, alcohol, and other addictions like gambling, work, food, sex, or any number of things we can find our escape in. We do whatever it takes to numb pain and in this process we isolate ourselves and numb even the good emotions.
There was a movie with Penelope Cruz in it; I think it might have been Vanilla Sky. It mentions in the movie that you can’t have the good without the bad. You can’t feel great if you never feel bad. I believe this is true. Going on vacation for an extended period will prove this. Your feel-good neurotransmitters keep getting emitted and after a while they slow down and your vacation just becomes normal daily living until you get back and feel some post trip depression. You really can’t have the good without the bad.
When we are adults it takes more extreme things to pick us up or bring us down so when the bad hits it’s really bad and it’s easy to grab for something to numb our feelings. It’s a cop out. We need to embrace our lows because without them we can never get our highs. We need to stick together during these high stress times because we tend to isolate ourselves during the hard times. Embrace it. Try not to isolate yourself and look for those that are closest to you. They might not be the one you want to be with; like in the case of a break up, but they will be the one to be there for you when they are needed. For me personally a few chats with my sisters and parents has done me wonders.
Dr. Brenee Brown has one of my favorite Ted Talks. She is a famous psychologist that talks about the power of vulnerability. She says vulnerability is uncomfortable but it’s necessary to avoid loneliness. She mentions in her talk that we use all kinds of means to attain affection including plastic surgery. She mentions we use addictions to numb pain and talks about how it doesn’t just numb pain but all emotions. Like in the movie “Click” where Adam Sandler plays a character that fast forwards through the parts of his life he doesn’t like and ends up getting old fast never really living.
Dr. Brenee Brown mentions that vulnerability is necessary and that the difference between those that embraced vulnerability and those that avoided it was the ones that embraced it believed that they were worthy. This is where I believe the love of parents comes in. This is also where I believe building your own confidence comes. I believe nutrition and fitness is a huge part of health and happiness and that's why it's one of my core values. If you ever want help with your health, happiness, and fitness; please drop me a line. I am more than happy to help out when I can.
If you have an addiction, take steps toward dealing with the root cause. It might be stress or pain. A lot of times it’s easiest to kick the addiction by replacing it with another healthier addiction. I’m talking about diet and exercise of course. People will get very addicted to working out and people that are posting and talking lots about their diet and exercise should be praised because they could be using drugs instead. We have all heard someone talking about how they found CrossFit or God. Allow them the opportunity to talk. These are addictions that are much better than cocaine and hookers.
I hope you liked the article. If you did, share it with friends. These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
Sign Up For My weekly Newsletter
- Oct 9, 2018 Top 10 Reasons Why Dairy Products Are Bad For You Oct 9, 2018
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016