The Microbiome Summit was last weekend and 33 doctors got together to talk about the bacteria of the body. Many of the doctors at this summit believe the microbiome is one of the greatest discoveries in modern medicine and the unseen root cause or cure, of virtually all health problems. The doctors say the bacteria is our greatest allies against disease and illness.
We are made up of 10 times more bacteria cells than we are human body cells. The bacteria are mostly on our skin, in our gut, and in our mouths and lungs. We are primarily bacteria and they are involved in every aspect of our physiology. The doctors at the summit call the bacteria our “inner garden” or our microbiome. This is the next revolution in modern medicine in North America.
One of the doctors was from Russia and she mentioned how they’ve been studying the microbiome for many years. The Russian doctor said that the microbiome studies are only new in North America and recently given the name microbiome. That doctor is not the doctor I want to talk to you about today; I’ll talk more about her in my next article. The one I want to talk to you about right now is Dave Asprey, the inventor of “Bulletproof Coffee”.
If you haven’t heard of Bulletproof Coffee yet, it’s a coffee recipe founded by Dave Asprey in 2009 and in 2014 was featured on some very popular talk shows and it’s been gaining popularity. Dave now has a New York Times best selling book called, “The Bulletproof Diet”.
A lot of people have been butchering the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe not knowing why the exact ingredients are in place. Some people that have heard about Bulletproof Coffee have been putting ghee and coconut oil in their coffee hoping to lose weight. I’ve seen an intermittent fasting specialist talk about putting coconut oil in your coffee and skipping breakfast to keep your body in fat burning mode. As long as you’re not adding carbohydrates to your body you will be in fat burning mode; this is the basis of a keto-diet. Skipping breakfast might not be the best thing for weight loss or health if it's not done correctly.
I’m going to tell you straight up, Dave Asprey is the real deal and his recipe sounds way too tempting to not try. In this article, I’m going to tell you the real recipe to Bulletproof Coffee and why the ingredients are exactly the way they are. If you want to try it yourself you can order some with this link.
First I have to tell you a bit about Dave Asprey. Dave is not a doctor; he is just a very brilliant man that had medical issues and learned how to overcome them. He is known as a "Biohacker". Like any good person, Dave wanted to share his knowledge with the world.
Dave’s arthritis started at 14. He was 300 pounds by the time he was in 4th year university. He had fibromyalgia, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome and what functional medicine folk refer to as brain fog. Dave now weighs 200 lbs. at 6’4” and all of his other symptoms have been relieved. The remedy to Dave’s health problems is rooted in fixing his microbiome.
Dave learned the importance of meditation and travelled to Tibet to improve his meditation skills. On a mountain in Tibet, Dave was given some yak butter tea in a bowl and it made him feel so awesome he had to recreate the tea. Dave learned why the yak butter tea worked so well, then came up with his own recipe and wants to share it with the world.
I’ll start with his coffee. Dave grows coffee beans in Central America and South America. The problem with even the best brands of coffee in North America is the mold toxins in them. The mold toxin, which is a metabolite of the mold called a mycotoxin, accumulates in the brain and affects the gut biome. These mycotoxins are so toxic they are limited in the parts per billion, (not parts per million) in other countries.
Dave makes sure his coffee is toxin free with his processing and then it is lab tested for 27 different toxins. The mold toxins cause side effects like the jitters and a crash after the original caffeine high wears off along with food cravings. These mold toxins are banned in other countries in Europe and Asia, but are not regulated in North America. The coffee companies sell their toxin free coffee in other countries that have toxin regulations and they don’t throw out their toxic coffee… they sell it to us in North America.
I have to mention, mycotoxins are also found in grains. People and cows eat the grains and breast milk/dairy products have mycotoxins. Also, antibiotics are a mycotoxin. Me, Dave, and a lot of medical professionals believe antibiotics are way overused and should only be used in emergency situations. In other words, are you going to die or have permanent damage if you don’t take the antibiotics?
The second component of Dave’s recipe is the grass fed butter. There’s 3 ingredients in the butter that are important to have and that’s why it’s necessary to have the grass fed butter. Dave stresses not to cheap out on the proper butter. The first ingredient in the butter is fat; the preferred energy source of the brain and body and an anti-inflammatory.
The second ingredient is butyrate or butyric acid named after butter because that’s where it is commonly found. Butyrate is used to help increase good gut flora. The third ingredient is CLA which is conjugated linoleic acid. CLA is commonly used as a weight loss supplement. The antioxidants in the coffee and the ketones from the fat are anti-inflammatories. This whole combination is turning down the bad and turning up the good bacteria. This is one of the greatest things you can do to improve health, performance, fat loss, and disease prevention.
brain octane oil
The last component of Dave’s Bulletproof Coffee is the “Brain Octane Oil”, also known as C8. There are 4 different kinds of medium chain triglycerides; C6, C8, C10, and C12, named for their length of hydrocarbon tails. All 4 MCTs are found in coconut oil, with C12 being the most abundant at approximately half, and C8 being the rarest at 5.5%. Dave’s C8 is triple distilled in an oxygen free environment. Dave doesn’t give away all his secrets but he says if you get your C8 anywhere else you will get what he calls “disaster pants”. It’s not good. That is all.
C8 is the key ingredient for people who want to lose weight. C8 gets metabolized and used by the body a lot more efficiently than other fats. C12 will go through the liver and be stored there as fat that will be used when necessary. C8 on the other hand metabolizes a lot like a sugar. C8 gets easily broken down into ketones for your brain and body to use immediately. With 2 tablespoons of C8 and the absence of any carbs you will immediately be into full ketosis, (full fat burning mode). For more on ketosis see my article on ketosis.
Dave says you think better and clearer all day without the crash you normally get with coffee and you don't get hungry. The C8 puts you into ketosis immediately and you stay there until you eat any carbs. The butter is another source of fat that staves off hunger. If you drink Bulletproof Coffee in the morning, by lunchtime you may or may not be hungry.
Dave also learned how to manipulate the microbiome to lose weight. C8 is an antifungal and works together with the coffee to induce a healthier microbiome. Thin people have more bacteroidetes and less firmicutes, obese people have the opposite. Scientists have done studies where they put bacteroidetes in obese people and they become skinny. They have put firmicutes into skinny mice and they become fat. You can have your levels tested at ubiome.com. C8 decreases the firmicutes, and the antioxidants in the coffee feed the bacteroidetes, (these are types of bacteria in the gut).
In Dave's New York Times best selling book called “The Bulletproof Diet” he talks about foods you need to avoid to heal your body and to lose weight and foods you need to incorperate. Click here to view the Bulletproof DIet Road Map. If you want to try Dave's Bulletproof Coffee you can click here.
In next week’s newsletter I will let you know how the Bulletproof Coffee is, and I will talk some more about the microbiome. I hope you liked this article; if you did, then please forward it, like, and share. If you want any more help with your health and fitness journey, please contact me any time and I will help you any way I can.
I hope you liked the article. If you did, share it with friends. These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Top 5 Reasons To Take Omega 3's Jan 8, 2016