This is a very complicated topic so contact me for more information. I’ll try to be relatively direct here.
Your hormones are what depict how your body is going to function and what you are going to look like. If your personal trainer can’t give you a solid answer on how to manipulate your hormones; fire them on the spot and come talk to me.
Although insulin and cortisol affect your metabolism, thyroid hormone is the most pertinent hormone that depicts your metabolism. It’s kinda a big deal.
How the thyroid works
The hypothalamus has body sensors to test the environment; it sends info to the pituitary. The pituitary sends messages to different glands; one of which is the adrenal gland. The adrenal gland uses cholesterol to produce different hormones like epinephrine, cortisol, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. On a side note, cholesterol in your food is necessary to produce hormones.
Cortisol is the enemy for most people. Cortisol is an amazing anti-inflammatory and gets produced when the body is under stress. This is great for short term purposes only. Cortisol reduces thyroid stimulating hormone from the pituitary. Thyroid stimulating hormone tells the thyroid to produce T4. The more cortisol you have the less thyroid hormone you have.
T4 gets produced in the thyroid and gets converted to the active thyroid hormone, T3, in the liver, kidneys, intestines, and lungs. The T4 gets taken to these organs via thyroid binding globulin. Selenium and iodine are essential in this T4 production and T3 conversion. Selenium can be found in smelt, herring, scallops, and Brazil nuts. Selenium also detoxifies mercury. T=thyroid, 3=3 iodine molecules.
Some of the problems that cause low thyroid hormone
Polyunsaturated fats, pesticides, preservatives and other toxins in our food. These increase inflammations and the greatest anti-inflammatory we have is cortisol. Once again; high cortisol equals low thyroid hormone.
Nutrient deficiencies. Selenium, B vitamins, Vitamin D and A, iodine, omega 3’s, and zinc.
Things that bind to thyroid binding globulin. Fluoride in our water, chlorinated water, bromide in flour, estrogen (birth control pills), pesticides, commercially produced meat and vaccines.
Other foods that cause inflammation. The top 7 are corn, soy, dairy, sugar and other sweeteners, gluten, peanuts, and eggs with gluten leading the pack. Gluten is found in rye, wheat, barley, spelt, oats, and kamut.
These are the symptoms of low thyroid
· Sluggishness in the morning
· Poor concentration and memory
· Low-grade depression
· Dry skin
· Hoarse voice
· Thinning hair
· Coarse hair
· Being very sensitive to cold and having cold hands and feet
· Low body temperature
· Muscle pain
· Weakness or cramps
· Low sex drive
· Fluid retention
· High cholesterol
Fixing your low thyroid
Avoid certain foods and make sure to eat certain foods. Foods to avoid are toxins and allergens. Toxins are pesticides and preservatives in food. Mercury is really bad and is found in bigger fish like tuna. Selenium detoxifies mercury. Also avoid chlorinated/fluoridated water. Eating nutrient rich organic foods and filtering your water is best practise.
Obviously people under chronic stress have high cortisol levels and therefore low thyroid hormone. Probably the most common cause of low thyroid hormone these days. Whatever is stressing you out you’ll need to find a way to eliminate it. Also proper meditation or yoga is very beneficial.
“One warning is that if your adrenal glands are burned out from long-term stress, treating the thyroid without supporting the adrenal glands through relaxation and adaptogenic herbs (such as ginseng, rhodiola, or Siberian ginseng) can actually make you feel worse.” (Dr. Mark Hyman)
Exercise is important not only as a stress relief but it stimulates thyroid hormone production. Come see me for a free consultation for best results.
I have to take a step back and explain something super important for those that have trouble with weight loss. As you lose weight the pesticides in fat cells get released into the body. These pesticides are detrimental to thyroid hormone production. The way to get rid of these pesticides is to sweat. I recommend hot yoga. If you’re having a lazy day maybe consider the sauna. Both involve a stress relief and both make you sweat.
Get the nutrient your thyroid needs. Selenium, iodine, zinc, vitamins A and D, and omega 3 fats. Ultimately, if you have a thyroid problem you might have to take a medication to fix it. It might not be permanent if you see the right doctor. Synthroid is a synthetic T4 replacement and may or may not work for you. Armour thyroid is T4, T3, and T2. Many doctors hold the outdated belief that Armour thyroid is unstable. That used to be true but not anymore.
“Sometimes, once all the factors that disturbed your thyroid function have been corrected, you may be able to reduce or discontinue the dose. As with any treatment, always work with a physician experienced in using medications to treat your thyroid.” (Dr. Mark Hyman)
I hope you liked the article. If you did, share it with friends. These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Top 5 Reasons To Take Omega 3's Jan 8, 2016