u of a doctors
The other day I got together with a doctor from the University of Alberta and had a great conversation. I love the opportunity to talk to brilliant educated people. I always learn a lot in a short period of time. We talked a lot about different studies and the shadiness of getting studies done to prove your side of the argument. She talked about Tim Caulfield who debunks beliefs in science and shows how you can find obscure correlations and evidence in studies to prove your argument no matter what your argument might be. I’ll come back to this point; remember the name Tim Caulfield.
genetically modified organisms
We got on the topic of GMOs brought up by me of course; I always ask about GMOs when I’m talking to a well-educated smart person. I mentioned that there are doctors that use food as medicine and sometimes they take patients off GMOs and the patients get better from just that. She said that’s fine but what else would they be doing or changing besides their intake of GMOs? Are they removing other toxins as well and getting them to eat healthy?
The truth is I can’t see them just removing GMOs without introducing good food. She also said when you remove GMOs you are also removing all packaged foods because they all have GMOs unless otherwise labelled; therefore, you are removing all the toxins in packaged foods and not just GMOs. That was an eye widener/eyebrow lifter.
When I thought about it the truth is there is a lot of data showing GMOs are fine and a lot of data showing GMOs are a massive health hazard. Who is telling the truth? Well when there are hundreds of billions of dollars being made by a GMO company they can afford a lot of studies proving GMOs are fine. That’s a fact. Remember Timothy Caulfield? You can always prove your point. However, on the health food side of the equation there is also a lot of money to be made which makes it questionable who is telling the truth.
I personally choose to believe GMOs are unhealthy. They use toxins to create them that have a health limit put on them and they increase their natural toxins to prevent pathogen attacks. I also don’t trust anyone that makes hundreds of billions of dollars because in my mind their values are not in the right place. Also, that money pays for as many studies as needed to sway anyone’s mind. I’m positive their concern is with money and not the good of people.
The health food doctors are making money as well but not nearly as much and after listening to too many of them speak, they really seem to be concerned with the health of people after a lot of them battled their own health problems and helped so many others with their health problems as well.
So getting back to the point my doctor friend was making, is it GMOs that is the big enemy or is it packaged foods. I’m staying away from GMOs because they are high in known toxins and experts speak very passionately against them. Studies on both sides may be lying and we may never find the truth which in this case would make GMOs the unknown. The unknown is always scary. Having said that, I have no desire to support GMOs just because they are cheaper. They are certainly sprayed with more toxins and some have been modified to have much more natural toxins in them.
Regardless about the GMOs there is no denying that packaged foods are detrimental to our health. Lets just go over a few common things that are in a box of what is typically described by doctors as edible food like substances; also known as boxed or packaged foods.
Monosodium Glutamate – this is an amino acid but not in the form our body wants. Amino acids get converted in different processes in the body for different uses and this form isn’t the form our body likes. MSG is used as a flavor enhancer and according to the FDA MSG is “generally recognized as safe”. In small doses all by itself our bodies might not be harmed in some cases. Having it regularly with the rest of the ingredients in a packaged food I’m sure will be harmful. In some people, even the small doses of MSG will be harmful.
Trans fats – this is a man-made fat used in food to enhance flavor. It is also called hydrogenated. It is considered toxic and has been banned but given an endless amount of time for food companies to faze it out. It is however agreed that it should never be used for human consumption.
High Fructose Corn Syrup – Commercially grown corn is genetically modified. Fructose is a very sweet sugar and therefore the most commonly used sugar to sweeten food. Ever heard of fatty liver disease? It’s caused by high amounts of fructose. Fructose in fruits and vegetables is fine because it is mixed with lots of fibre and nutrients your body needs. Eliminating the good stuff and refining the fructose in high amounts is causing huge problems including obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and the list can go on for days.
Maltose – is a glucose molecule bonded to another glucose molecule. It is as high glycemic index as anything comes. This means it hits your blood stream immediately for an instant rush of energy. It is added to food because the faster something hits the blood stream the more addictive it becomes. Food manufacturers go to extremes to make sure they have the most addictive food on the planet to keep people coming back for more.
Maltodextrin – is a glucose bonded to another glucose bonded to another in a long chain of glucose molecules. Maltodextrin is also as high glycemic index as anything comes. Just to be clear when something is high glycemic index this means it is absorbed very rapidly into the blood and increases insulin as our body's blood can only hold approximately 3 teaspoons of sugar at any given time. The insulin will store the sugar into muscle and fat cells and energy levels quickly drop after the initial rush. The result is weight gain, fatigue, disease, and addiction.
Natural flavors – this is one of my favorites. “Natural flavors” is code for “toxic waste we don’t want to write on the label because you would never buy this product if you knew what was really in it”. Just google natural flavors.
Artificial sweeteners – more addictive than sugar. Diet foods are more addictive than regular foods. Artificial sweeteners also have other negative effects on the body depending on the sweetener. Some increase insulin and cause diabetes faster than sugar. Some increase appetite which helps explain the addiction. Some destroy your good gut flora which causes weight gain.
Preservatives – they come in all kinds of chemical forms and have all kinds of negative effects. The list is long and I can’t cover all of them and their effects but here are a few. Benzene causes cancer and thyroid issues. High amounts of benzene are created when plastic bottles are heated and when benzoates are combined with vitamin C. Butylated Hydroxyanisole has many aliases and causes cancer and hormone imbalances. Nitrates and nitrites cause cancer and diabetes.
Artificial coloring – some are band in other countries because of their neurotoxicity and others lead to cancer. Kids are the most susceptible because it’s in all their candy and sugary treats including Flintstones multivitamins.
Refined grains – genetically modified. Grains will be refined and have their bran and other nutrients removed so their shelf life will be much longer. They become very high calorie and high glycemic with no nutrient. It’s a lot like adding maltodextrin as a filler.
None of the above should be consumed by humans and the combination becomes very toxic. Most of the above will be derived from something genetically modified among other genetically modified ingredients such as sugar. These ingredients don’t just cause disease but cause quicker aging as well and obesity. Please avoid them and it’s not just me saying that; it’s people much smarter than me with much higher education as well.
I have many suggestions and resources to help improve health and fitness. I would like to give you an opportunity to spend an hour with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. I want you to overachieve like you never thought possible. This is an offer that will not be available ever again very soon. I am giving you the opportunity to become someone you and others envy.
Click here to meet with me.
Get a Health and Fitness Plan… For Free!
You will get a 60-minute coaching session one on one with me to make a plan for your health and fitness. You can ask me any questions you want during the coaching session. You will get:
- a plan that's specific to your needs.
- an exercise plan.
- nutrition advice.
- the exact diet I get all my clients to start with and the resources to enable you to start right away.
- learn what nutrient deficiencies are the most common and what to do about them.
- learn how to bust through all kinds of health and fitness plateaus naturally.
- all kinds of resources where I get my knowledge.
Click here to meet with me.
Increase your energy, looks, and physical capabilities to improve your confidence, which spills over into every aspect of your life. Become an overachiever by doing what overachievers do. Become someone people envy and live a happier more positive lifestyle.
Click here to meet with me.
I wish you lots of health, love and happiness!
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016