There’s the counting calories method, the cutting out allergens method, all kinds of gimmicky brand name methods, the detox method, the intermittent fasting method, the graze all day (small meals many times a day), method. Holy crap there’s a lot of methods! My favorite? The keto-diet or ketogenic diet. Sit back, you’re going to want to hear this.
Ketosis is a normal metabolic process where your body uses ketones from fat as the primary energy source. Where does your body get the fat from? Your body isn’t picky when it comes to the source. It will take some from your food and some from your body as long as you're in ketosis until it runs out of the food source. If you ingest a sufficient amount of healthy fats with a lack of carbohydrates, you will go into a state of ketosis and your body will use this fat to make ketones and burn fat. The weight loss comes when you don’t take in too many calories.
Fat is the preferred energy source of the body and has many benefits. Some of those benefits are disease prevention, weight loss, increased energy, decreased brain fog (more alert), and a decrease in muscle wasting.
I kinda want to point out that the decrease in diseases are diseases that were blamed on a ketogenic diet at one time. What I’m trying to say is eating fat doesn’t increase your bad cholesterol, heart disease, blood pressure and other diseases that fat was blamed for. A ketogenic diet actually helps with these diseases and I want to point out, it also decreases epilepsy, and in some cases, cures it. Now research is being done on how it can help other diseases such as Parkinson’s.
With the keto-diet you don’t take in a lot of high carb foods and therefor your insulin levels stay low and blood glucose levels stay low. With this environment you store a lot less visceral adipose tissue (the fat around your belly) and will produce more growth hormone which burns fat.
How to do a ketogenic diet
In order to be in ketosis you have to lose the grains and sugars and eat more fats. It takes about 10 days to be in full ketosis and about the same amount of time to lose your addictions to grains and sugars. Maybe the 2 are connected? A keto-diet does reduce hunger…
Here’s what a keto-diet looks like. It’s mostly fat at first. At least 70% of your calories are from fat, 20-30 percent of your calories are from protein, no more than 20g of carbs a day. Cruciferous vegetables are your carbs at first. The problem this poses is that a lot of nutrients come from fruits and veggies. You’ll need a good multivitamin and fibre supplement. After 2 weeks you should be in full ketosis and you might be able to add more nutrient filled carbs little by little.
Not all keto-diets cause weight loss. In order for weight loss to occur, you need to have a caloric deficit. If you have a caloric deficit in a high carb diet there will be more muscle wasting and a higher disease causing environment with inflammation and all kinds of problems such as thyroid problems. The thyroid has a huge part in depicting your metabolism. With the keto-diet, your body will burn your love handles to keep the high energy levels and less muscle wasting or health issues in the caloric deficit.
Why is this my favourite weight loss diet? Mostly for the health benefits. Ok, I love bacon… Does it work? Pfft, want to see my abs??? Of course I don’t get abs with just diet alone. I exercise regularly and recommend that everyone does some sort of fun type of exercise. There are more effective types of exercise than others and for more information on exercise or nutrition, contact me and I will gladly help you out.
I hope you liked the article. If you did, share it with friends. These are the types of issues I deal with daily with my clients in order to accomplish their fitness goals. I believe in a coach like approach and I help guide my clients to do the things they deem relevant for them and they are seeing really great results. For me the reward is the happiness it creates and seeing the new found confidence in people. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PERSONALLY SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS ...FOR FREE?
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
- Oct 9, 2018 Top 10 Reasons Why Dairy Products Are Bad For You Oct 9, 2018
- Sep 20, 2018 The Best Pre-workout and Post-workout Nutrition and Supplements Sep 20, 2018
- Sep 6, 2018 Top 5 Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and the Best Omega 3 Supplements Sep 6, 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Should YOU Avoid Cruciferous vegetables? Apr 24, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 Getting Fat Adapted Mar 5, 2018
- February 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 John Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes To Decrease Libido... Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 How To Increase Your Productivity By 19-37% Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 15, 2018 New Year's Resolutions Jan 15, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 Life Changing Events Part 2 Dec 4, 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 Ya, why not? No worry, chicken curry. Jul 28, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Warm Up May 1, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 A Couple Cool Tricks To Get Abs Apr 5, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 How to Manipulate Your Hormones for Fitness and Health Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 My Global TV Segment With Kent Morrison Dec 12, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Meet Kyle! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Want Better Mental Clarity With More Energy and Less Stress? Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 What's the Big Food Enemy These Days? Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How To Do A Ketogenic Diet Oct 31, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Having Trouble Losing Weight or Increasing Muscle? Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 60% of those who have this…don’t know it! Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 11, 2016 Do You Know The Facts About Eating Fats? Oct 11, 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Why Do People Eat Breakfast Food At Breakfast? Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 4, 2016 It’s Time You Knew the Truth About Why You’re Fat! Jul 4, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016 Why Do Most People Call An Ambulance? Besides Loneliness Jun 27, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 10 Reasons Why Bread Is Bad For You Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016 What You Can Add To Your Workout To Improve It Immediately Jun 13, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 What Vegans Know That You Don’t Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 Morning Mojo May 30, 2016
- May 24, 2016 Is Your Vitamin Supplement Doing More Harm Than Good? May 24, 2016
- May 16, 2016 How To Increase Brain Function May 16, 2016
- May 9, 2016 21 Day Stress Relief Challenge May 9, 2016
- May 3, 2016 The Shady Business May 3, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 29, 2016 Chronic Mental Stress Feb 29, 2016
- Feb 26, 2016 15 Essential Fat Loss Tips Feb 26, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 The Hunger Hormones Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Leaky Gut Syndrome Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 What's With the Bean? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Having Trouble With Weight Loss? Maybe It's Your Thyroid Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 31, 2016 My Favorite Weight Loss Diet Jan 31, 2016
- Jan 26, 2016 How To Cheat A Cheat Meal Jan 26, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Super Strength Tips Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 18, 2016 3 Terms You Need to Know if You Are Looking to Lose Weight Jan 18, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 Why Is Dairy Bad For You? Jan 8, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 How To Eat Before, During, and After A Workout Jan 8, 2016